TIME FRAME AND AVAILABILITY
I encourage you to make contact well in advance of your anticipated project deadlines—there is no such thing as too soon! Let's sort out contact information, terms and conditions, and payment methods without deadlines pending. Then we can devote our full attention to your projects. I am open to reserving time in advance to guarantee availability for future time-sensitive projects and regular recurring assignments (a deposit may be required).
I'll be happy to give you a rough estimate based on some initial information, but we'll know the final price of your project only after discussing it in detail and after I've reviewed your document(s) and related materials.
The cost may be expressed per source word (Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, Serbian), per target word (English), per page, hourly, or as a lump sum, but my main consideration when formulating a price is the totality of the time, effort, and expertise needed to produce a high-quality text or provide other requested services to move your project forward.
Rush deadlines, illegible documents, handwritten text, and complex formatting requirements are just a few of the extra-linguistic factors that can add to the price of your translation or editing project.
The most common methods of payment are check, PayPal (credit cards accepted), and bank wire transfer, but other methods are also available. Details of payment will be discussed for each assignment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
When you hire me for your project, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.
- The full scope of work and payment terms will be agreed in writing (e-mail OK) before the work is started.
- Most projects, especially first-time projects, require full payment in advance or partial payment in advance with balance due on delivery.
- I cannot guarantee that an edited article will be accepted by your journal of choice or that an edited grant will be funded; these decisions are out of an editor's control.
- As a translator and/or editor, I warrant that no material of an objectionable or libelous character not present in the original work will be introduced into the translation or edited text; and I expect that you, the client (or your representatives), will indemnify and hold me harmless against all suits, claims, causes of action, expenses, or costs of any kind, including legal fees, arising out of the content of the original work.
- Past due invoices will incur a monthly rebilling fee of $25 until payment is received in full.
- Changes in scope of work or time frame may entail additional charges, to be approved by you before changes are made or new work is undertaken.
- If for any reason either of us must cancel a project in progress, then the one who cancels is expected to make a good faith effort to limit the damage to the other (for example, timely notice).
Additional terms may apply if agreed in advance (cancellation fee, confidentiality, copyright, etc.). Either of us may suggest additional terms as relevant to the project or our continued cooperation.
If you are interested in a more formal document, I would be happy to work with you to flesh out or modify the terms on this page or any of the model contracts linked below, as appropriate.
American Translators Association Guide to a Translation Services Agreement
American Translators Association Translation Job Model Contract
(What's the difference between the above two agreements? See this page: http://www.atanet.org/business_practices/translation_agreements.php.)
PEN America Model Contract for Literary Translations
Editorial Freelancers Association Sample Letters of Agreement
Editors' Association of Canada Standard Freelance Editorial Agreement
Society for Editors and Proofreaders (UK) Model Terms and Conditions
Plan B Contact Pages
Request a Quote
Terms (you are here)